Zanesville, Ohio’s Financial Responsibility Law

To legally drive in Ohio, you must comply with the requirements of Ohio’s “financial responsibility” law. This means you must be able to show that you can pay for injuries or damages you may cause to others if you are responsible for an accident.

How will someone know if I don’t have car insurance?

If a police officer stops you for a traffic violation or safety check you will need to show proof of financial responsibility. If you cannot, you will have to face the penalties.

You can comply with Ohio law by either buying automobile insurance or a financial responsibility bond.

Automobile Insurance:

If you purchase automobile insurance, Ohio law currently requires drivers to have at least $25,000 of coverage for each injured person, $50,000 of coverage for all persons injured in an accident, and a minimum of $25,000 coverage for property damage.

Financial Responsibility Bond:

If you are at fault for a vehicle accident, these cash bonds cover injuries to the other driver, passengers and pedestrians (if any), and damages to the other car. None of your injuries or damages, however, are covered.

If you purchase a financial responsibility bond, the minimum required bond amount is $30,000. They are granted to drivers and not tied to vehicles, so someone else driving your car would not be covered.

What are the penalties for driving without car insurance in Ohio?

If you are caught driving without insurance, the penalties can be quite severe. If it is your first offense, your license, registration and plates could be suspended until you pay a fine to reinstate them. A second offense may result in the suspension of your license for one year, with or without driving privileges, as well as a large reinstatement fee for your registration and plates. A third offense may revoke your license for two years and come with higher fees yet.

What happens if I’m in a car accident and I don’t have insurance?

If the accident was not your fault, the other driver is responsible for your injuries and damages. If the accident was your fault, you are responsible for the other driver’s damages including medical bills, lost wages, and more. If you can’t afford to pay it, your wages could be garnished indefinitely.

How much auto insurance do I need?

Many people would benefit from buying more than just the minimum required insurance limits. Oftentimes, automobile accidents result in injuries or damages well in excess of the minimum coverage limits, and it is possible for the responsible driver to be held personally accountable for damages that exceed their insurance limits.

Is the minimum coverage for auto insurance enough?

Minimum coverage does not protect you, your passengers or your property if you are in an accident which is not your fault. When purchasing or renewing your automobile insurance, you may want to consider obtaining “liability” coverage beyond the required state minimums and adding some of the most common types of optional coverages, including medical payments coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage and uninsured/under-insured motorist’s coverage.

Medical Payments Coverage:

Pays for your medical costs, even if the accident was your fault.

Collision Coverage:

Pays to repair or replace your vehicle if the accident was with another vehicle or an inanimate object (like a tree).

Comprehensive Coverage:

Pays to repair or replace your vehicle damaged by a storm, fire, flood, vandalism, etc.

Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist’s Coverage:

Pays if the other driver doesn’t have any, or enough, insurance to cover your damages.

If you’ve been in a car accident that was not your fault and suffered serious damages, a personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation. Whether it was a car, truck, motorcycle or RV accident, please contact Gottlieb, Johnston, Beam, and Dal Ponte, P.L.L.