How Do I Get a Divorce?

How Do I Get a Divorce?

How to Get a Divorce in Ohio

Once you have determined that you need or want to end your marriage, you can do it in several ways. You can file a Complaint for Divorce or a Petition for Dissolution. You can file these documents through an attorney who practices family law or you can try to do it yourself – a DIY divorce.

Filing a matter in the court system without an attorney is called “self-represented” or “pro se.” Pro se is a Latin phrase which means “on behalf of oneself.”

Here is an example: I am an attorney. I know things about law that lay persons do not. I have had years of training and on-the-job experience. I am not an auto mechanic. Auto mechanics know things about autos that I do not. They have had years or experience and on-the-job training. So, if I replace my brake pads, that is my decision and would likely save me money today. However, if I screw up and damage my brakes further or cause a wreck, the savings is not worth it in the long run.

It is the same with a pro se filing. If you cannot afford to screw up, whether it is for financial or custody reasons, you may want to reconsider your decision to file without an attorney. An attorney is also able to help you understand the local court rules or the personality of the adverse attorney or the court itself. There are also financial and custody affidavits that are required to be filed at the same time.

A cost/benefit analysis is vital. Certainly, when one is terminating his or her marriage, money is usually tight. It is always worth it to plan, save or borrow for times like these.

Sometimes termination of a marriage is foreseeable. Sometimes it is not. Having an Emergency Fund built up, borrowing from family or working some overtime is a wise decision and may be worth it in the long run.

If you have questions about divorce in Ohio, or if you’re ready to hire a divorce attorney in Zanesville, call us at (740) 452-7555 or click here to contact us online.